[CAUT] Just how much brilliance can a pianist make ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Aug 23 04:36:06 MDT 2008

    Re:..." he could not get a satisfactory pianissimo.'....Ric...he
    was  referring to tone, and not the ability to control PPP
    playing...right?

    Dan
    Dallas

Yes, that was his claim.  He meant that the dynamic range as a whole was
too much on the bright side.  Interestingly, the pianist he referred to
also was referring to tone issues.  She meant that Steinway's should
have a crystal like colour  (read quite bright) at all levels of play.
For her the colour of the instrument should remain quite a bit more
constant regardless of how loud or soft she played.

I think I have both pianists pretty well pegged in terms of what they
are after.... but one never knows for sure :)

That said, and interesting as the above contrast is, I am really most
interested in hearing more on the lines of just how strong a pianist
needs to be to get the most out of an instrument. If Jeff Tanners post
is representative... then it strikes me that there is something else
going on then just the velocity / momentum of the hammer.  Jeff is
probably no overly light handed person yet he reports a heavy weighter
being able to induce a buzz that no one else could... that would seem to
indicate that very very strong hands can indeed get more volume/energy
out of the instrument then less strong hands.  Yet the physical
limitations as I understand them... and as has been discussed several
times here and on pianotech would seem to prohibit this.

Head scratching time agin :)

Cheers
RicB