hammer thickness trimming jig

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 24 12:34:06 MDT 2008

Greg,

I have vague recollections of a jig for tapering already hung hammers in
a table saw. Similar to the Spurlock jig, but with clearance for the
shank. Institute class handout? Journal article? Journal cover photo?
Maybe my mentioning it here will stimulate someone's memory who can help
you track it down.

Is it a problem throughout the piano, or only in the bass and low tenor
where the hammers are angled? Sometimes interference in this area can be
worked around by additional tail tapering (rather than thinning the
head) or burning shanks to rotate the hammers towards the break. Or, how
about the trick we sometimes see in old uprights, where the bass hammer
shoulders have been trimmed parallel to the shank, so that the hammers
end up with a diamond-shaped cross section? Of course, if you consider
these approaches to be unacceptable compromises, you'll have to keep
searching for a trimming jig.

good luck

Mike