stiffest tuning hammer

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Aug 24 23:21:09 MDT 2008

I have a hybrid tuning hammer.  A good friend gave me a beautiful-looking Schaff extension hammer made of rosewood.  I loved the handle, but the head was constantly coming loose and the part that tightened around the shaft would also loosen up.

Then one day, another friend got a Jahn light weight hammer that he just loves.  He said it has cut his tuning time by 15 minutes a piano.  So, I started measuring things, discussed it with Pianotek (they told me I could return it if it didn't work) and so I tried it out:  I inserted a Jahn extension shaft into my Schaff handle, added a 15degree two-ended head, and a tip.  Nicest hammer I have ever owned!  For a third of the cost of a new Jahn extension hammer, and with the handle I love.  No more struggling with that loose Schaff shaft!

 Diane

stiffest tuning hammer
John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 20:23:10 MDT 2008