Faulk titanium or carbon fiber?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Aug 25 11:57:02 MDT 2008

> A note on materials:
>
> The reason titanium has been a popular choice for tuning hammers is
> because it's lighter than steel. What most people do not realize is that
> titanium has more flex than steel. That extra flex is great for golf
> clubs, but is a disadvantage for tuning hammers.

Good luck on that one Mark. I don't think anyone accepted that
when I pointed it out a couple of years ago. It is, however
the case.

> Carbon fiber is lighter than both steel and titanium, and considerably
> more rigid than either metal.

Not exactly. Carbon fiber is considerably more flexible than
either titanium or steel. It's very high resistance to both
compression and stretch at the extreme fiber of the section
assembly can make the assembly more rigid for a given section
than either steel or titanium. Flexibility can be controlled
to some degree with fiber orientation in the matrix, as well
as section dimensions. Steve's carbon tube has an enormous
section diameter, so it's going to be the stiffest hammer
shaft on the planet. Remember that the first iteration used
aluminum tubing, and was still way stiffer than conventional
steel shafted hammers just because of the section size.

>I've also heard
> people insist that titanium is more rigid than steel or carbon fiber.
> That is simply false.
>
> Mark Purney, RPT

It is indeed, verifiable by looking it up.

The problem I see is more in a belief of some sort of
universal superiority of a material than attempting to
understand how it's individual properties perform in a
specific configuration and use.
Ron N