String breaker

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 27 08:00:44 MDT 2008

I have a Kawai model 500 in a church which constantly has broken bass strings.  All the breakage occurs from B2 up to the break.  I am getting tired of ordering replacement strings and actually order them in multiple sets now so I have several replacements on hand.  I have deregulated the action to reduce power (no, the pianist hasn't noticed) and that helped a bit, but broken strings are still an almost weekly occurance.  Any suggestions?  Would rescaling that part of the piano help?
Thanks, Jim Johnson