Lifting upright piano

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Wed Aug 27 10:11:44 MDT 2008

Hi,

I'm only about 5'3" and 120lbs.  I have frequently moved spinets and consoles with the help of the owner/seller/custodian/student/whoever is around.  I built an approximately 6.5 inch tall X15 inch long X 5 inch wide, 3/4 inch plywood, totally enclosed and with one cross support inside box.  It has a screen door handle on one end for carrying and quick, safe use.  It also has neutral color rubber matting on one surface (for the floor bearing surface) and two or three strips of heavy duty coarse sanding belts glued and tacked to the surface that will contact the underside of the piano.  The key is that the 6.5 inch height is slightly taller than the height of my dolly.  I lift one end of the piano just high enough so that the second person can insert the box underneath the bottom board.  Lower that end and then lift the opposite end to the same height.  Second person easily rolls the dolly under the center of the piano, lift the 'blocked' end slightly to remove the box, and off you go....Reverse to get piano off the dolly.

Pic to follow in a bit.

Debbie L.