Lifting upright piano

Leslie W Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 27 16:06:48 MDT 2008

There is a point to be made that the larger the piano the easier to lift. Spinets are particulary bad. On consoles you can hold the handle as a "pull thingie" to bring your shoulder solidly against the back of the piano, and then the motion becomes more of a "push than a straight lift.  I don't know if Paul Simone gets on the list any more, but he taught me the trick when I was getting really tired at one of the national conventions on the moving crew.  Once he showed me how to push and lift at the same time it became easy.  My last year, I think short creature came over to me and said, "I want to shake your hand becuase I heard you move that  piano all by yourself....... Yeah I did, and then this guy went right over and did the whole lift on a Steinway D. But getting the shoulder down and tightly against the side of the piano, then push harder than you lift can be valuable.
les bartlett