flat bass bridge

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Aug 28 16:43:08 MDT 2008

Hi list.

So I have put a new board into this 1878 Bechstein piano.  The Ciresa board
has nice crown, of course, a lot across the grain, but also a little along
the grain.

The problem is : it seems impossible to glue the original bass bridge onto
this board without huge modifications.  As is, it wouldn’t simply follow the
curve of the board and leave severe gaps even with severe clamping.

Now scratching my head : does this mean that the original board was flat ?
(Of course it was, under stringing, but was this due to design, or to aging
and failure of the hypothetical initial crown ?)

The original board, when out of the rim, shows some significant crown on all
ribs but the last bass side one and the last treble ones.  Ribs have same
thickness all over their length.  Along the grain, it has very little crown,
as opposed to across the grain.  I am reluctant to alter the bass bridge’s
sole, because I believe I would do worse than what is currently.  What is
the way to go ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.