New Steinway Hammers was---hammer thickness trimming jig

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Aug 29 19:19:13 MDT 2008

I’ve had similar situations with requests for original parts and sometimes
you have to live with that.  But given the choice...  Recently I had a
situation with a customer with a "new" Steinway that had terrible weight
problems and required a change of hammers as the originals were simply too
bulky to be able to correct.  After much discussion about problems with
prelacquering, no control of dimensions and weight, they opted for Ronsens.
While they had some concerns about the effect on resale they ultimately
decided the proper weight, balance and tone would be the better selling
point should that day arise.  I was able to get a set from Ray that was
appropriately targeted to a lower weight which allowed me to both remove
lead and lower the balance weight (the originals were absolute monsters),
one application of a light solution of lacquer to bring the tone up a bit
and all is good in pianoland once again--well except for the "chiffing"
sound at the backchecks and knuckles.  That's for another day.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

David

Dittos on the Ronsens...excellent color, sustain, Power.  The Steinways were
on request.

Dale

I don't know why anyone would use a Steinway hammer when you can get a Bacon
felt hammer custom made and dimensioned with no lacquer from Ronsen.  The
hammers I've been getting from him have been outstanding.  They do require
an application of lacquer but I'm using one 9:1 solution through the set,
maybe two applications above C6 and that is plenty to bring out the tone
quality tone.  That's with MacLac High Solids G-23 clear gloss lacquer
(solids content do vary between lacquers).  10 grams of lacquer to 90 grams
of acetone in this case.  They're less expensive too!

David Love