paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Aug 30 23:35:02 MDT 2008

 Ron:

I think my point is simpler than it may have been taken as. The "feel" of stablized pin "load" is a combination, in any measure, of all the twist, friction, torque, and bearing conditions. Granted that there are primary forces, and that friction in the front system is nominal, it still speaks to the "feel" of pin setting, and string stability settling.

Try this. After you have set a pin and gotten it as "stable" as you can, if you take a brass drift and tap the counterbearing segment up from below just past the counterbearing bar, and down from the top just in front of the capo or agraffe, measure the pitch change and get a sense of the embedded and residual friction maintaining the tension of the the tuned string. It's not insignificant. It may not be terribly significant either, but there it is. I think Jim Ellis has a lot to say on this, too, and I would do well to go back and review his material before getting too ethereal. :-)

Paul