[pianotech] Tuning

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Dec 3 20:54:26 PST 2008

John Formsma wrote:

>  From the standpoint of enjoying it, no ... I would not enjoy tuning the
> little beast.  But I didn't enjoy tuning a rebuilt Steinway beast today
> either. :-)  All that capo and duplex noise, and inconsistent pin
> tightness -- ick!
>
> --
> JF

Not one of mine! Not on my features list.

I had a really fun time today pitch raising and tuning (at) an
old Betsy Ross Lester spinet, with it's accumulation of old
age and clunk maintenance nasties compounding the inherent
design nasties. Someone had filed the hammers and replaced the
dampers without making any attempt to regulate the thing for
minimal function of ANYTHING. I did the minimum I could to buy
her some time, invoked the "crappie shelter" evaluation, and
recommended replacement ASAP. She took it very well, brave
soul, and the dog was a real sweetheart.

Then there was the afternoon Steinert grand, which I "tune"
every five or six years when it's the owner's turn for the
Christmas party. The first time I tuned it 20+ years ago, I
wrote "needs rebuilt" on the card. Every time since, I've
written SNR, and indicated on the invoice that the piano is
still dead. Trouble is, I don't remember just how bad the
thing is between tunings until I'm standing over it.

Sigh...
Ron N