[pianotech] those pesky tuning pin bushings

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 19:00:54 PST 2008

I don't really see why splitting is a problem since the goal is to have
support around the tuning pin generally and the split probably doesn't make
that much difference.  But I have heard of individuals soaking them in
thinners such as are used to thin pin driving fluid and driving the bushing
and then the tuning pin while the bushing is still slightly wet (using pin
driving fluid as well which I prefer).  The thinners for PDF are generally
xylene or mineral spirits which will not mar the lacquer based finishes on
the plate.  My own experience is that if the bushing is tight enough that
you have to drive it to get it into the plate then the tuning pin will
simply compress it rather than cause it to split.  It tends to be when the
bushing is too loose that it splits though sometimes it seems to want to
split anyway.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com