[pianotech] those pesky tuning pin bushings

Anthony Smith tonythetuner at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 00:07:19 PST 2008

Hi Gene,

Never had any bushings split on me.  I always fit and attach the block
to the plate first.  Then drive the bushings into the plate before
drilling.  I don’t drill by hand.  I cut the post of an extended throat
drill press to accommodate a plate that is on an upright tilter.  Clamp
the drill press to a piano dolly at a 30 degree angle. I can move from
hole to hole making sure I line up with the angle of the string for
which I’m drilling.  Drill through the bushing and the block at the same
time.  I use 3-4 “jobber” bits from Pianotek that correspond with the
pins I’m using.  I have to let the bit cool every few minutes but that
ensures uniform hole size.  It usually takes me about 1 ½ hours to drill
all the holes.  Very efficient.  Always had uniform pin torque.  It is a
bit involved to get it set up initially but once you have it, works like
a charm everytime.  36 pianos and counting.  No split bushings.  The
drill press cost me about $225.  It can be found here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44846

The great thing is that it doesn’t matter what size pin you are using.
It always works, whether you coil the strings around the pins and then
drive in or if you drive in a little bit then string the piano.  Because
you drill the hole in the bushing matching the hole in the pinblock.

Anthony Smith
Phoenix, AZ