[pianotech] free piano moves

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Dec 5 18:22:00 PST 2008

It really isn't too bad if you do it like Greg says, one step at a time.
When you try to do too much at once you get into trouble and it takes a lot
more energy. A big problem is getting the piano started on the steps. You
have to lift the top end of the skid for several steps until the entire skid
finally makes onto the steps.

An easy fix for this is to upend the piano onto its side and bring it to the
stairwell this way. When you get to the bottom step just lower the top of
the skid onto the steps and there you are.

Conversely, when going down the stairs, when you get to the bottom, just
lift the top end of the skid on up to upend the piano on its side. The man
on the bottom can position the dolly as it is being raised. Wheel it away
and then lower the piano to horizontal when you get room.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802