[pianotech] Refinishing ebony sharps?

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 20:28:06 PST 2008

Ok, what are my options to re-black worn ebony sharps?

I have only attempted this myself once, and the stuff I used (some sort of
spray black lacquer I think)
did this really horrible crazing/cracking thing as it dried.

A refinisher friend told me it was a result of the lacquer reacting with the
finger oils that had soaked
into the parts that were worn down to bare wood. She ended up having to
aggressively strip all the
old black off and start new.

Is there any way to avoid this?
Can I make then look better (if not perfect) without stripping them?

[kurt]