[pianotech] Joe Garrett's recipe for TP bushings

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 15:34:54 PST 2008

I did some research in my saved emails, and found Joe's recipe for keeping
tuning pin bushings from splitting.   I hope it would be ok with Joe to
share it (he sent this to the list in 2006):

On a grand I'm rebuilding the old tuning pin bushings
were .41 od but I am unable to find a new set that is
anything smaller than about .44 od.

Would you just not put in bushings on this one, or do
you have a quick method of reducing the size of the
bigger bushings?

Just soak them in a mixture of Synthetic Reducer and pin driving fluid,
until they sink to the bottom of the container. This makes them very pliable
and also makes them impervious to splitting. Also, they will not lose their
"grip" on the tuning pin. Been doing it for years. Oh, mix 50:1, (That's 50
parts S.R. & 1 part pindriving fluid.

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I