[pianotech] Scary Experience

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Dec 7 02:48:41 PST 2008

Hi Todd and Wim:

The pin block may be tight, but that's not necessarily the problem.  If this
is a modern Baldwin, the tuning pin holes are drilled through a small hole
in the plate, and there is no plate bushing.  The underside of the plate is
relieved at the hole (wider at the bottom, narrower at the top) and
unfortunately Baldwin was not always careful in fitting the block to the
plate flange.  The net result is that you will often see tuning pins binding
against the front of that plate hole, and lots of binding friction  between
the pin and the plate.  Jumpy, snappy, hard to control tuning pins are the
result; along with a  tuner muttering, cursing, and gnashing teeth.

The best thing to do in this situation is to accept that suffering is part
of the human condition, and try not to wail out loud every time you run into
one of these.

Will Truitt