[pianotech] new board evaluation

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Dec 7 11:36:49 PST 2008

Hello list,
Trying to evaluate my first new board is interesting.
In particular is the lo bass.
I feel there is great sustain but is lacking in tone definition - the usual lowest three notes.
Voicing and weighting the hammers has helped a great deal and it really sounds good but not great.
It is curious to watch the lowest A string after a fff hammer blow - the vibrations are visible on the string and remain visible after the audible tone decays and becomes inaudible.
Is this a clear sign that the board is too stiff in that part of the piano?
If I can still see the string moving with no sound is it reasonable to assume that more sustain and possibly better tone definition could be had if some part of the design were altered?
Gene