[pianotech] Rusty Steinway M

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 19:04:46 PST 2008

Hello,

I was called to give my evaluation of a Steinway M that was in a home flood.  The water reached a few to several inches deep in the room and lasted about 12 hours before clean-up started.  The clean up crew at one point used dehumidifiers that ultimately pulled over 5 gallons of water from the air in the room housing the piano.

Upon evalution I saw unbelivable rust on the tuning pins and the first 2 inches of the strings.  OK maybe not unbelivable but really significant.  Also one agraffe was broken.  The customer seemed suprised by this and stated only that she could tell it was not the same as before the flood.  The case is in fair shape with some spots needing refinishing from scratches.

The difficulty is this is an insurance claim and I can not honestly say whether such a rust condition happened in the last year and was caused by the flood.  I want to be honest and still assist my customer. My customer insits that it was not like this a year ago.

Does anyone think this condition could happen that soon?  I have pictures and would be willing to and am asking for help off list because my pictures are large files and I think the administrator doesn't like them?  I am also hoping to speak to someone in the central texas or eastern new mexico or Oklahoma area who might like to help me do the restoration.  I am nowhere near qualified to tackle such a project.  My contact information is as follows:

Steven J. Hopp
hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
432-770-7473

Many thanks for replies and interest.