[pianotech] RPT invoices and followup work

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Dec 9 13:08:18 PST 2008

Hi John,

I've not used the RPT invoices (surprise  <G>) but have always had my own which were similar in that they are 1/2 sheet, 2-part invoices.  I've found it very convenient to simply have a checklist of things I do every time or very often (tune, PR, Tighten screws/bolts/bench/pedals, check music rack, etc.).  I have my business letterhead at the top, room for client info, then the bottom half is blank.

In this way, if something needs attention, I write it down (bushings, hammer shaping, regulation, refurb, rebuild).  It has been my feeling that if something is written out on the invoice, a client is more likely to see it (care) than if it is simply something that is checked off.  When I hand most of my clients an invoice with additional writing on it, most of them ask right away what "that stuff" is.

I like the flexibility of being able to write out exactly what the piano needs, nothing more, nothing less.  Works for me.

I HAVE thought of getting some full sheet invoices printed as well, for those occasions when there are multiple pianos, but for one or two, this seems to work well.

William R. Monroe

  What are your results of getting "extra" work (i.e., beyond tuning) by using the RPT invoices from PTG?

  I'm looking at modifying the stock RPT invoice that PTG sells. I.e., taking it to my local printer to get my business name and logo on the top.  But keeping most of it like it is.

  What I like on the RPT invoice is the space there that indicates service needs to be done in particular areas: dampers, regulation, etc.  I'm thinking that the visual right there in the customer's hands is good.  But even if that needed work is pointed out to the customer, does it increase your service work in those areas?  (I'm oh-so-well aware that there are those who only want there pianos tuned, so I'm not talking about them.  I'm talking about the conscientious piano owner.)

  What I don't like (at first glance anyway) is that one invoice needs to be used for each piano.  I often do work for churches where there are multiple pianos. In these cases, one invoice per piano seems overkill.  But it might be helpful to get some extra work if problems are noted for each piano.

  Are there any other fields that you have added to your own personal invoice that the RPT invoice doesn't have?

  Any other thoughts?

  Thanks in advance.

  --
  JF