[pianotech] Rusty Steinway M

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Tue Dec 9 13:43:36 PST 2008

Stephen,
I absotively, posolutely agree with Wim, one of my biggest, earliest mistake was to underestimate the damage on an insurance claim to put the repair with in my abilities.
My verbiage now in this type of situation is that I can not make any warranty with regards to a repair that is any less than a complete rebuild. That should not be a total loss for a S&S M. I also assume the piano was in excellent condition before the disaster unless I know different, why assume anything else?
Later when thing go wrong it will be your, uh, something or other. I also consider myself to be an ambassador for the client, they're the ones paying me. None of this means I would be dishonest at all with my assessment to the insurance provider. These people and the insurance company are welcome to solicit other opinions and they probably will, in the end, you'll fell good about your proposal for a complete restoration, even though you will sub out some of the contract.
Fenton