[pianotech] Piano Technicians and Populations

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Dec 10 14:43:13 PST 2008

Indeed, 2000 pianos!  How would you have the time! Tuning repairing, the
inevitable rebuilding (or partial) job thrown in.  Just 2,000 tunings a
year means a little over 5 per day ( at 340 days per year) Man, ya gotta
have some break...  God Bless your ears, and with travel time at 5 minutes
between tunings!  I only tune 5-6 per day if I'm getting ready for a new
semester here at UNL, and I'm exhausted afterwards!  Or,.... in the old
days tuning those dreaded "wharehouse piano sales" put on by the different
stores I used to work for.   You know... where little kids try to match
the note you're working on on the piano next to it... the little old
ladies who try to humm the note you're working on, the constant chatter,
and the salesman who blasts out a mediocre rendition (that's being nice!)
of a Chopin polonaise to "impress" the potential buyer.

From the population issue aspect, I used to live on an island north of
Seattle.  God bless em all, but we had 4 RPT's, and at least 2 "tooners"
for a 50,000 polulation!  That's why we all had to travel to the mainland
to make a living.  Then there was the ferry lines......Ohhhhh how I miss
those days! ;>) NOT!!!

Todd, I've always wondered where you are building your business?  Your
questions a great and it sounds like you're on the right track to get it
going. Keep up the good work and keep asking questions! I only wish I'd
have joined this blog years ago.

Best,
Paul Williams RPT
PTG member since 1992

Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
12/10/2008 04:19 PM
Please respond to
toddpianoworks at att.net; Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Piano Technicians and Populations

What constitutes a "comfortable" living??  If I had 2000 pianos that I
only tuned once a year, that would be over 200,000 per year!!!  And that's
just tuning.  And I understand about overhead and all that, but what am I
missing here?

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578