[pianotech] Removing Glue

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 12:49:21 PST 2008

Ron writes, inre using hide glue,
<< The other day, I

stripped a set of key bushings that appeared to have not been

the originals. They steamed out easily and cleanly, without

taking wood with them, as they will again when someone

replaces the bushings I installed in their place. Go hide! >>

Yea, verily.
    There is another aspect that a few of us will also take advantage of.
That of redoing our own work.  I have begun rebuilding the early '80's work that
I did at Vanderbilt.  I know exactly how much glue I used for the backrail
cloth, dampers, bushings, etc. Having held together for decades, they come apart
like butter with a whiff of steam.
     These are easy pianos to re-rebuild, so for those of you that are young
and perhaps beginning long term relationships with schools, using hide glue on
perishible components just might return as a bonus, someday.  It is also
cheaper, faster, and more proven than any other glue I know.
    I also think transparency, (the ability to allow energy to pass through
with the least alteration) of a glue joint is also important in several
locations, (hammer to shank, bridge to cap and lasts, soundboard and ribs, etc). I
certainly wouldn't want pvc-e glue in between a hammer and a shank, nor would I
want it between the bridge cap and the bridge. On a continuum between rubber
cement and hide glue, Tite Bond and the aliphatic resin group don't rate as
hard, and there may be some creep.   I think harder is better when a joint is in
the direct path between string and case, and I like to think that the assembly
is more integrated when the hammer head is glued on with a harder glue than
Tite bond.
    The Bolduc glue seems to get awfully hard, but I wonder if it will prove
to be so strong that hammers are damaged when removed.  Guess I should go
experiment some....
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Make your life easier with all your friends,
email, and favorite sites in one place.  Try it now.
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)</HTML>