[pianotech] Verituner Help!!!

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 16 11:17:14 PST 2008

You could certainly use Fine Tune mode, anytime at all.  If the piano is close to pitch, absolutely you should start in Fine Tune mode.  I'd still start out by letting the VT read A4, A3, etc.

Even if the piano is flat, you can use still Fine Tune.  Just know that when the piano is more than say, 10 cents flat, it's going to end up a bit under pitch when you're done.   Counteract that by tuning everything 3 or 4 cents sharp on the first pass, and it should end up right on.   Make a second pass to clean up unisons or pull any errant strings up or down as needed, and voile!  It's in tune!

I ignore the markers.  I always calculate in my head 33% overpull on the steel strings.  Ten cents flat?  Tune it three cents sharp.   Twenty cents flat---7 cents sharp.   Make a second pass and you're done.

Tom Sivak
Chicago