[pianotech] String replacement in overstrung area

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Dec 16 16:24:48 PST 2008

Those strings can be replaced by fishing them under the bass strings though it is frustrating and you'll want some appropriate tools.  A hemostat can help, something to keep the string on the bridge and hitch pin too.  It just depends on how it's laid out and sometimes you might have to loosen a bass string or two to do the work but not all of them.  In 35 years I haven't removed all bass strings for that job and most of the time I've done it without removing any.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>