[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD (was Verituner.....)

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Dec 16 19:38:54 PST 2008

Duaine,

In my opinion, it is like learning math before using a calculator.  One
really should know how to perform an operation before letting the machine
take over.  Otherwise, what are your checks?  Even if your clients are 100%
satisfied with machine tunings, if it malfunctions in some way or other, how
would ever know, and how would you accurately check to confirm if there was
an error?

Same with a calculator.  I balance my checkbook with one, but I always look
at the numbers and see that they make sense.  If they don't I double check.
If I didn't know how to do math, I'd never even know I should be double
checking.

Please recognize I'm trying to be constructive here.

William R. Monroe