[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Dec 17 11:45:11 PST 2008

Duaine,
It's really not so much what RPT buys you, although I hear it does help get
referrals from PTG. What it buys for your potential new customers is an
assurance that you have a clue, that you aren't going to tune by bending
pins, that you'll be able to properly tie that broken, tieable bass string
on the spot, rather than use the <wrong> "universal" string, or
unnecessarily delay the repair by putting a single brand-new, out of sync
bass string on their 45-yr-old piano; that when you discuss the feasibility
of rebuilding it, whether you'll be doing the work or not, you know whereof
you speak. Does one need to be an RPT to do these things? No, H--- no. Can
other piano-owner friends vouch for their non-RPT tech? Of course. But if
someone wants to be assured they are getting quality work done by someone
who knows what they're doing, and that someone doesn't have any other
resource, PTG's RPT offers that assurance.

I also used to be a mainframe Sysprog (CICS), and IMS/DB2 DBA prior to that,
and Cobol app pgmr before that. I'm not sure if there are viable
certification programs for those positions YET, but there certainly are for
the network guys/gals, and there certainly are for M$/OS (sorry, not to
bring up a sore spot) support staff... probably Linux too, certainly Unix
support has certifications.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN