[pianotech] OFF TOPIC>> Snow in Las Vegas

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Thu Dec 18 09:33:04 PST 2008

<<OFF TOPIC>>

Hi All,

As I'm sure most of you have heard by now, yesterday was one of the most
bizarre days in history for Las Vegas.  It began snowing mid morning,
nothing serious just light flurries.  Gradually it got heavier through the
day as temperatures fell.  By about 2:30 it was sticking to the ground, and
by about 9:00 last night we had 8" of snow in our yard!  I'm not even close
to kidding, Las Vegas looked like a mid west winter.  Most of the city got a
minimum of 3", but the south side had 8" or more.  They actually closed the
airport, no inbound flights were allowed to take off, and some airlines
canceled flights altogether.  As you might have guessed, the Las Vegas
airport has no snow removal equipment!  There hasn't been a snow storm like
this here since 1971.

Traffic was a mess.  As the roads became slushy the accidents emerged.  The
street I live on parallels the freeway and many people thought that it would
be a good way to avoid the freeway.  Instead there was a string of cars not
moving at all and I got home just in time to pull in before the cars lined
up.  People sat out there for hours.  I-15, the highway to Orange County/LA,
was shut down entirely and I was planning a trip down there this morning.
It's still closed so I guess I'll be going tomorrow instead.

The fun side is that our dogs and little girls thought it was the greatest
thing in the world.  The cat was just confused.  The green tomatos in our
garden will never ripen now.  I guess you haven't lived until you witness 8"
of snow bending over palm trees!  All the tourist who left the cold parts of
the country to enjoy the normally warm winter here found themselves in the
same kind of place as what they left.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV