[pianotech] treble tuning muse II

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Thu Dec 18 18:55:22 PST 2008

Hello list,

Thanks for the feedback on my previous musing about treble tuning re: not
"tuning the life out of the unisons" and how a wee little bit of variation
might add depth and sustain.

I warned you that I had a FEW thoughts about the matter that I wanted to
bounce around.

amount of stretch used in the high treble be compromised on individual notes
based on appearance/disappearance of false beats and/or quality or tone?

I ask because sometimes it seems there's a "sweet spot" where the tone just
sings, even though it may be a little sharp or a little flat of the "correct"
place for that note.  Or sometimes a false beating note will clean up when
moved slightly from the "correct" spot.

Well, I've been putting those notes where I think the sing the clearest, so
long as they're not terribly out of place.  Anybody else do this?  Have
thoughts on this?

Looking for enlightenment,

John Dorr
Helena, MT