[pianotech] treble tuning muse II

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Dec 19 07:14:19 PST 2008

I've noted that sometimes you tune a string to exactly where it should be and the duplex section starts screaming.  If a 2-cent compromise will quiet that down it's worth it, or you can do something to mute the duplex.  That's the main thing I don't like about the duplex scale - the unpredictability of it.  It does add brilliance but not a unique brilliance.  In other words if you eliminate the duplex you can get that brilliance back through traditional voicing techniques and have predictable results.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu