[pianotech] Baldwin Layoffs

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Dec 19 15:16:03 PST 2008

Hi Shawn:

As a former Baldwin dealer who was taken out into the "Killing Fields" in
April 2002 by Gibson along with over 300 other dealers and had my "dealer"
throat slit by them, I can certainly share many of your sentiments.  They
were kind enough to let me be a dealer again if I gave them a $300,000
order, but I declined.  I have never understood how dumping 90% of your
dealers after the company you just bought had gone through Chapter 7
bankruptcy and the economy was in decline after 9/11, but who am I to judge?
And they certainly have an industry wide reputation for playing dirty as you
show.  And I also know vendors that they have refused to pay in the past.
So if Henry Juscowitz (who owns Gibson and Baldwin) loses his shirt, I won't
shed any tears either.

Still, I repeat that it is a sad moment.  First, we have lost another
manufacturer of pianos on American soil, and we were once the envy of the
world for our piano production.  Secondly, it is real people who are losing
their jobs, and it is having a profound effect on their lives.  Some have
suggested here that this is due to unionization, but I think one would be
hard pressed to compare the average piano worker to the auto worker for
benefits and wages.  And the underlying issues are far broader and more
complex than that.

When I was a Baldwin dealer prior to the bankruptcy, I worked with a great
many really capable, competent, and hard working people within the company.
It genuinely distressed me to see them lose their jobs, because they were
good people and they weren't the reason the company was failing.  That I
would attribute to upper management that couldn't take its head out of its
butt long enough to see what was going on, and a Board of Director that
allowed this to go on for several years.

I would not be surprised if we see Baldwin Artist Grands being made in China
in the coming months.

Will Truitt