[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Fri Dec 19 23:00:46 PST 2008

What do letters after my name mean?  Are they a sign of perceived self
importance?  I suppose for some people they might be.
But I tend to look at them in a different light.

I believe in the value of self directed study.  But when I hear someone
describe himself as self-taught, it bothers me.
There are a number of areas in which I have worked at gaining expertise
outside of a formal learning environment.  Doing so
is almost always a combination of reading and dialoguing with others who are
interested in the subject matter.  I am not
self taught in these areas, even though I have exercised significant
initiative.  My teachers are those who have invested
time and effort in writing to pass on their knowledge, and those who share
their time and ideas with me.

I cannot yet put the letters RPT after my name.  I hope to be able to do so
in the near future.  There are some other letters
I can put after my name, and when and if I choose to do so, they indicate
that I do not consider myself self-sufficient
in knowledge, but that I have valued the input and evaluation of those more
experienced than myself.  I have considered it
valuable to learn from them and to submit myself to their standards of
evaluation, rather than simply to my own.

It is obvious that one can operate a successful business without formal
credentials.  That fact does not make meaningless
the practice of submitting my work to the evaluation of those more
knowledgable than myself.  It is also true that most people cannot tell the
difference between someone who actually knows what he is doing, and someone
who is simply following
a set of step-by-step instructions created by someone else, without knowing
why he is doing what he is doing.

I currently tune using a set of instructions created by Robert Scott.  I am
grateful to him for developing the Tunelab
program.  It enables me to earn some income to feed my family, even though
my aural skills are not yet sufficient for me
to tune without the visual feedback.  But the fact that I can use a tool to
do a job without fully understanding it does not
render real understanding meaningless.

When someone says I do not need anything more than the ability to "get the
job done" in order to earn income in that line
of work, I won't argue.  But when someone says that the standard for
obtaining credentials in the field should be lowered
to the extent that I don't need to know why I am doing what I am doing to
hold the credentials, I must complain.  If I can't thoroughly evalute a
tuning with my ears alone, I should not be holding credentials.

Right now the RPT designation means something.  Sure, there are people that
have passed the tests and quit learning, or
have not demonstrated an ongoing commitment to excellence and customer
service.  But these are not the people that
define the value of what it means to be an RPT.  Let's keep pursuing a
vision of excellence and of a high level of skill
that is rooted in learning, preparation and understanding.

Floyd Gadd, associate member
Manitoba chapter