[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Dec 20 03:21:09 PST 2008

And I'll third David and second Dale:

Individual human beings have different learning styles.  I know some people
who are absolutely brilliant yet have always been a round peg trying to go
into a square hole in the established educational system - their learning
style just can't work in that setting.

My goal in life is to go to my deathbed with my enthusiasm, curiosity, and
willingness to learn intact.  I'm old enough to know people who have already
stopped learning.  That aspect is not a function of formal or informal
training, but is more a part of our character.

I think the point that I have seen a lot of people trying to make is that it
does not matter whether you tune aurally or by ETD, with sufficient care and
knowledge, you can get a fine tuning either way.

My rhetorical question:  how much knowledge is enough?

My answer:  It's never enough, because the goal is to continue learning and
satisfying newer curiousities.

Speaking only for myself, I have found that when I have reached a plateau in
my learning and stopped, usually I see myself getting sloppy and my work
suffering a bit.  And when I get back on the learning horse again, my focus
returns, my desire for excellence reasserts itself, and everything gets
kicked up a notch or two.  And I have then have that feeling of satisfaction
- for me only - that I have gotten better.

I think that if we are learning only to increase our income, then the
process is ultimately barren and very limited in value.  Duaine seems to be
saying, "I already know everything I need to know to make a good living and
satisfy my customers, so why bother with the rest?"  He has answered his own
question, and he is free to make that choice.  It does strike me as ironic
that someone who was so obviously a strong and creative self starter in his
earlier career, seems to find little value in that approach in this
following career.

Finally, I think it fair to say that the Guild is a combination of shared
learning built upon a whole lot of creative and industrious people who have
often come up with new processes and ideas mostly in isolation.  But I would
also say that we are always standing on the shoulders of those who have gone
before us as the state of the art gets advanced.

Will Truitt