[pianotech] Fw: Emailing: balance hole repair

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 06:57:35 PST 2008

>>It's worked for me too. The optimum thickness is whatever the
>>balance hole reamer (KCS-1B, Pianotek) would leave if you made
>>it thicker and reamed it.
>What is the thickness at which the tip of that tool emerges from the bottom
>of the key?

The end of the tool is flush with the bottom of the key and will produce
a 3 mm relief. However, if the hole is bevelled at the bottom (sometimes
considerable) maintain a 3 mm surface at the pin. The end of the tool
would be stopped at the top of the bevel.

I speed up the process by placing a few keys at a time (no bevel) on
a hard surface, preferable metallic and blast the profile with the tool
shank in a cordless drill.  I let a helper do that once which prompted
me to purchase the Onesti Balance Hole Repair System.
--

Regards,

Jon Page