[pianotech] Fwd: wurzen front punching felt

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Dec 21 13:01:49 PST 2008

 David
 Yes, I can attest that on occasion the denser felt telescopes more noise thru the keybed & into the piano. Compine that with noisy knuckles & desnser wurzen balance rail felt & it can be triple trouble. A Stwy A I sold had this condition.  All three were change to reduce the noise. In this case it was first the kknuckle the largest offender then the balance rail & finally the front rail that were changed. Much better
  Some pianos are more susceptible to this than others. Also other types of factory punching's approach this density. A recent Yamaha comes to mind but again no complaints.
   ... But by in Large I've not had complaints from pianists using the Wurzen crescendo Front rail Punchings
  Dale Erwin

On the other hand I recently replaced a set on a Bechstein with Wurzen and they were too hard both in terms of feel and noise so I switched to something softer.  Different strokes.  I have used the Wurzen successfully on other occasions.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com