[pianotech] Tuning contest, original

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sun Dec 21 19:43:17 PST 2008

Following this "test", Virgil and I had the same situation with two  Steinway
B's at a college nearby in Chicago, except that we were both  tuning aurally,
I using my customary practice of using beats and coincident  partial sets and
interval tests, etc., Virgil tuning in some still unexplainable  fashion
using what he calls "natural beats". He took two or so hours tuning his  piano,
and I had only 45 minutes to give my piano  a quick pitchraise  of several cents
and a quickie tuning. The Chicago Chapter then voted on which  piano they
preferred, and the results were 50-50 or near enough. Why I  participated in this
I don't know, since I believed then and believe now that  fine tunings are
the product of uncountable hours of practice and refinement,  and that the
"ability" is neither god-given nor electronic, but the result of  very intentional
and directed practice. There is a really good book just  published on this
phenomenon by Malcolm Gladwell called The Outliers.

I can't, with all due respect, disagree with Jim Coleman  more strongly that
this "event" should be repeated in any form or fashion.  It makes a circus and
an adversarial setting of the strange and high art of  tuning, and as has
already been proved several time, proves nothing except  that good tunings are
indistinguishable from good tuning.

Paul

In a message dated 12/21/2008 5:56:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,