[pianotech] RPT exam?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Dec 22 17:47:45 PST 2008

"Examinees can use an ETD for part 2 but not part 1, or for unisons."

So, no ETD " to set the pitch of the center string of A4 to 440 hz." I assume they let you use a fork?

Then you can use an ETD "to tune notes C3 through the top B4."?

And then I presume one can use an ETD "to tune the rest of the piano except for the bottom 3 notes and the top C note."?

And then of course, unisons by ear - correct?

Seems to me they'd want you to set the temperament by ear. But you say one can use an ETD?

Terry Farrell
        You have 5 minutes to set the pitch of the center string of A4 to 440 hz. If you finish early that time is added on to the next part which is the midrange. Here you get 40 minutes (plus time left over from setting pitch, if there is any) to tune notes C3 through the top B4. The piano is muted off so you only have to deal with one string per note. After that section is scored you will have 1 hour to tune the rest of the piano except for the bottom 3 notes and the top C note. Again this is single strings only. Then the stability is tested on notes C3-B4 by delivering 3 solid test blows to each note. If a note changes by 1 cent or more after the test blows you lose points. Last is unisons. You will have 1/2 hour to tune the unisons for the midrange (again C3-B4). Each string of a unison must be within 1 cent of each other to not lose any points.

        Examinees can use an ETD for part 2 but not part 1, or for unisons.