[pianotech] RPT exam?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 23 04:16:21 PST 2008

I'd like to call attention to the series of articles "The Five-Minute Tuning Lesson," which I wrote in the Journal over 2008. This is, so far as I know, the first series of exercises designed to help ETD tuners learn aural skills as part of their work day. The assumption is that you are willing to devote the first five minutes of each tuning to practicing an aural exercise. The ETD is used to set up a situation of tuned reference notes, then one or two notes are tuned by ear. The exercises gradually add up to a full set of skills that will enable you to pass the aural requirement of the PTG exam. (They also will enable you to aurally test and refine an ETD tuning.)

I'm getting replies from people that the exercises are helping them. It won't happen overnight. It takes extended commitment. It also makes tuning a lot more fun when you can hear the design of the temperament taking shape.

If you  have trouble hearing beats, close your eyes and move your head. There can be "strong" and "weak" places to hear the beats. Remember that if the piano is out-of-tune the beats can blur and become hard to discern. Play gently and give the interval time to settle down. Try playing 10ths across the mid-range.

To those who don't know, remember that there are 3 RPT exams: written, technical/repair and tuning. The written exam is free to members, takes about an hour, and can help you assess your readiness to take the hands-on exams. Results are confidential, and examiners will do their best to make it a positive experience, no matter what your score.

Administrative details (such as the supposed "4 year limit") are complex. Trying to parse them out on this list will just create potential confusion. Members can subscribe to examprep at ptg.org to get specific answers to specific questions, from recent successful examinees and examiners who give the exams.

Aural tuning is not easy to learn on your own. Going to school and devoting 9 months with an experienced teacher is the easy way. Otherwise, be patient and keep looking for opportunities to work with aural tuners in person. Skills get transfered by human-to-human contact. Value those opportunities.

Ed Sutton