[pianotech] Dampp-Chaser Brochure response

Roger Wheelock roger at dampp-chaser.com
Tue Dec 23 09:16:27 PST 2008

Good question, Keith.  First, let me apologize in advance for extending a thread with a commercial nature on what should be a technical list.

The way we must present our product to most piano owners is extremely simplified, as they cannot relate to what I am about to describe.  We begin with our technical understandings, derived from the data we have developed in-house and in the field.  We believe pitch stability is obtained primarily through stabilization of soundboard moisture content by control of relative humidity in the piano cavity.  What data do we have?  We have a volume of data on maintaining relative humidity within a narrow range inside pianos.  Early data was developed in our test rooms.  Over the last six years, I have enlisted technicians to conduct field studies in homes, universities and concert venues under a variety of climatic conditions to more realistically evaluate the performance of our product.  The advent of relative humidity data loggers allowed for this, and I thank Alan Gilreath for pointing me in this direction back in 2001.  These tests overwhelming demonstrate that our product does maintain a narrow range of relative humidity inside a piano.  On occasion, we encounter a piano in which this is more difficult than usual and may require some modification or enhancement of the system.

In the late 1990's, we did long term tests in vertical and grand pianos measuring soundboard moisture content at various positions on the soundboard.  This type of testing is challenging in that it is somewhat destructive.  Pins must be stuck into the wood, leaving small holes upon removal.  Non-invasive wood moisture meters are suspect regarding accuracy.  Even the pin models lose significant accuracy below 6% equilibrium moisture content.  We were able to develop data showing equilibration of the soundboard moisture content when the soundboard was exposed to the stable environment created by our product.  Stabilization often takes at least 14 days.  The entire soundboard is not at the same equilibrium moisture content.  Rather the area near the dehumidifier is a bit drier.  The area near the humidifier would be moister.  However, the values remain constant during system operation, even when the ambient environment is changed from very dry to very humid.  Thus when the soundboard isn't shrinking or swelling, we believe good pitch stability is maintained constantly.

Data on pitch stability is more limited.  Most of this has been done by our European technical representative Odd Aanstad using an electronic tuning device.  We also own an electronic tuning device.  I had hoped to initiate a series of studies on a new Schimmel grand we purchased, in order to validate the final connection from controlled relative humidity to soundboard moisture content equilibration to pitch stability.  Dummy that I was, I forgot about string stretch on a new piano.  I ran a lot of tests generating confusing data, got frustrated with the situation and then never returned to complete the research.  It was about this time I became excited with the field testing program described above.  I likely should have returned and finished the work.  That said, of course we have an abundance of anecdotal information from technicians documenting the development of pitch stability in "wayward" pianos after the installation of our product.

So what do you tell a piano owner?  Or, possibly more clearly, what do you tell a piano owner in order to get his or her attention?  This is where we came up with the phrase "you can keep your piano on pitch constantly".  Is it a stretch?  I don't think so.  You may disagree.  I am certain that less than 1% of piano owners could follow my discussion, above, or even care to.  This is where the technician can bridge the gap in making it more understandable, after a conversation has been initiated.

Now for the second phrase, "double its life".  Here technical data is absent and we are relying on anecdotal information from your fellow technicians.  We are a small family-owned business in western North Carolina.  We do not have the resources to test 10 pianos with a system and 10 pianos without watching for signs of deterioration over a time frame of many years.  Is using anecdotal information to make a claim wrong?  I don't think so.  You may disagree.  The reputation of the person making the claim is certainly important.  A technician who strongly agrees with this claim is Arlan Harris, current President of the New York City Chapter of the PTG and also President of the Technical Division of Klavierhaus in New York City.  I cannot say that an equally respected and qualified technician might not strongly disagree.

In the end we walk the tight wire of trying to get a piano owner's attention while maintaining scientific objectivity and accuracy.  I am a scientist by training.  One of my mentors told me early in my business career that I should never let bad business compromise good science.  I try to live by that advice.

Roger