[pianotech] but will it split

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Tue Dec 23 10:28:57 PST 2008

> Yes, with no problems so far. I use a 10-24 hex head screw
> with the head turned down to about 2mm thick. Pilot hole just
> under the thread diameter (it's a low load application, so
> there doesn't have to be much thread biting wood), and turn
> them in with  a drill and magnetic socket.
>
> I haven't apparently taken photos of a laminated tray done
> this way, but here's what a retrofit on an original poplar
> tray looks like.
>
> Ron N
Thanks Ron,
I had purchased a capstan set from Piano Forte - they are a bit smaller than
the 10-24 and ever so slightly tapered with the coarse wood screw thread.
Do you think these would work as well as the machine screws? I suppose that
I could drill my pilot holes with a tapered bit?
If you don't mind I will use your 10-24 idea for future projects. Great idea
and thanks so much for sharing.
Gene