[pianotech] plate cleaning

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 07:37:54 PST 2008

At 12:48 -0200 24/12/08, Jacques von Frasunkiewicz wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a natural liquid/substance/ process of cleaning
>the  dull greyish plate of a 50 year old Steinway B? I can´t get
>cleaning products that are available in the USA.  I have heard that
>white vinegar can be used but it doesn´t seem to have an effect.
>Also, my client doesn´t want to have the added expense of
>re-bronzing regardless of my advice to do so.

All you can do in this case is remove superficial grime and for that
you can try various harmless things.  Start off by mixing one part
paraffin (kerosene) with one part water and scrub the surface with a
cotton rag soaked with this. If the rag gets brown and dirty, you
know it is working.  This is perfectly safe and will not dissolve or
soften the finish itself.  You can also use a hot solution of borax
with a little detergent added.  This is also safe.  Washing soda
could be effective but if you have a spirit-based lacquer on the
frame this will tend to remove the lacquer if you don't work
carefully.  When all the dirt and grime is removed, clean up with
plain water and dry cloths.

JD