[pianotech] Dampp-Chaser Brochure response

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Wed Dec 24 14:57:17 PST 2008

I have a lot of work to do where I am at.  There are several tuners around who, shall we say, at best, "tooners".  If they come to a client with a sticking key, most of the time, they won't take the time to evaluate the situation, they'll just recommend to install a dampp-chaser.  The bad thing is, they just install the dehumd. and NOTHING else.  In fact, they don't even install it, they just plug it in and lay it in the piano!

I have quite a few clients in that situation described above, which I will be attending to one at a time.  My thing is, I really don't want to get the humidifier as it has some maintenance that goes along with it.  I live in South Texas, so it does get quite humid, but I would gather that indoors, the RH rarely gets below 42%.

Can I get away with just the dehumidifier and humidistat?  There were a few clients I serviced whose RH in their homes was in the 30's.  But, like I said, how often will that happen?  Maybe it's like that constantly (million dollar word there).

Like I said, I am just shying away from the humidifier maintenance.

Thoughts and comments?

By the way, I really didn't mean to start a huge big thing with my initial post, but I guess I did.  I apologize.

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578
http://www.toddpianoworks.com