[pianotech] but will it split

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Dec 24 16:28:01 PST 2008

Well My friend.
??? It's because I dislike damper work that I like the new (if you can call them that.) capstan feature installed in the tray..... Not the damper lever.
???? I don't add spoons. I can't see the point. Don't like the spoon set up any way. Archaic in my view.
? Dale

At 09:12 -0800 24/12/08, Thomas Cole wrote:?
?
>I see nothing wrong with a fine adjustment on dampers which are >affixed to the top blocks with a rather crude method. I find that >performers are getting more and more critical about damper >performance including having all the notes of a chord stop >simultaneously at a slow release of the pedal. Fine adjustment >capability is critical to get to that Nth degree, IMHO.?
?Tom--JD ...I look at at like this...Wether pianists are more critical or not we still need the damper lift to be set precisely when it goes out the door?& easily to regulate quickly later when the damper felts compress... Takes the aggravation out of it for me.----Dale
? Merry Christmas

If it's getting a new back action, it doesn't take much to add this >nice feature.?

JD wrote
?
 I've never met anybody who loves regulating grand dampers with or without articulated damper drops and spoons and capstans and whatever other gizmos. If you fit capstans, then you have to fit spoons too if you want to get everything perfect, and in the end nothing is likely to be perfect.?
?
I don't expect to change anyone's habits by these deprecating comments, but I bet there are one or two lurkers on the list who fully share my opinions!?
?
Happy Christmas to all!?
?
JD?
?
?
?
>John Delacour wrote:?
>>At 12:29 -0800 23/12/08, Gene Nelson wrote:?
>>?
>>>The 10-24 machine bolts are sounding better all the time.?
>>?
>>Even better to me sounds the idea of leaving everything as it is >>and just regulating the dampers. Sure, nobody likes dampers, but >>learning how to do a good job on them is a far better investment >>than wasting time botching just one piano only to have the same >>dilemma when the next damper job comes along.?
>>?
>>JD?
?
?