[pianotech] Satisfied but persistent customer question

Andrew Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 27 19:06:35 PST 2008

Geoff,
This piano needs a Dawson stringcover, DC Piano Life-Saver and
undercover: Period.  If she wants the piano to stay put that is what
she needs.  Pianos will go out of tune with the weather just as fast
as guitars will, only guitars are much faster to tune up for obvious
reasons.  This is why the DC system properly enclosed is a necessity
for some customers.

She essentially is asking for recording studio service so charge
accordingly.

If this is specifically about unisons, do you check to see if the pin
torque is in the middle of its range, ie a bump either way will move
the pitch equally in either direction?  If that is not possible on
this piano are there obvious rendering issues?  Have you lubed bearing
points to free up rending?  Does the piano need restringing with
remilling of agraffes and dressing of the capo?

On really stubborn pianos I engage the damper pedal and paddle (with
my hands) all the keys several times and then release the pedal and
check unisons.  Instant feedback on pin setting which can be
camouflaged by poor rendering.   Alternately or serially I will rub
and press on all of the strings with a rag to encourage rendering
through rusty bearings.

Andrew Anderson