[pianotech] Repeat Question about damping problems

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 20:39:05 PST 2008

David I. asked, "Personally, if that was my piano, I'd want the factory to give me a new piano. Wouldn't that be a warranty problem?"

There are many ways to answer that question, including a simple "no."  This piano teacher had been playing this piano for several years before noticing the ringing.  It is one of the many subtle sounds and imperfections that make this piano sound as it does.  I would guess that many if not most of this model have a similar plate ring; the plate is part of the piano's design and replacing it with the same model would be no guarantee of improvement.  After regulating and voicing to the player's satisfaction and installing a humidity control system, does it make sense to replace the piano for this fixable problem?  I find many new pianos with bigger tone problems, including lack luster "killer octaves" and poor transitions across the break.  If all of these pianos are returned under warranty, how many piano makers will still be in business?

I doubt that you would recommend to one of your clients that they should return such a piano.  It is more likely that you have tuned pianos with this problem and never isolated it or been bothered by it.  That's not to say you are an insensitive lout, just that it is a subtle sound that we have not been trained to listen for.

I hope you all have a happy and prosperous new year (someone needs to keep paying taxes)!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter