[pianotech] zapper was vertigris

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 23:29:14 PST 2008

As I understand it, the basic design is to use a doorbell transformer.  I have made a few of these, with varying degrees of success and usefulness.  I found that the transformer isn't designed to do what a zapper is required to do- have a short circuit.  Eventually, my transformer burned out.  It has a fusible link which burns out if the transformer gets too hot.  I don't see that using a soldering iron does anything different, except that you have to remove the flange to heat the pin.  It's not something I would use on a good quality piano, because the result is that the flange often becomes too loose.  I've not used it on vertigris, but regular flanges that are sticky can be freed up with it.  The better, most reliable method is reaming and repinning.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego