Warped Ivory Keys

Mark McConnell mconnell1 at instruction.com
Fri Feb 1 18:11:19 MST 2008

A 1902 Mason & Hamlin upright I worked on has ivory keys that are
warped upwards where the head and tail meet. They are not coming
unglued, both the wood and the ivory are warped upwards. This affects
about half the white keys, and is severe enough to be a major
distraction for the player.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to remedy this - perhaps without
removing the ivory? I could only think of steaming and clamping, but
haven't tried anything yet. Thanks.

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?