fallboard lock

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 17:54:36 MST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 2:04 PM, <falcone1132 at comcast.net> wrote:

>  Hi list:
>
> I just received a call from a customer with a quandry.  She has an upright
> and needs to lock it.  She has bought both the a"ultimate" acryllic one, and
> the Jarras models, but neither are large enough to fit around the fallboard
> and keybed area.  I suspect that it must be a very old piano that has been
> rebuilt (from her description)
>
> I have looked through over 20 pages on Google to find the old-style
> fallboard locks that I installed in the 80's and 90's.  It was a simple
> steel bar bent into the shape of a "c", with a notch to accomodate an "eye"
> of a hasp which was screwed under the keybed.  It was large enough to fit
> ANYTHING, but could be bent (with brute force) inward to fit smaller pianos
> too.
>
> I haven't seen these in years?  Did "Tuner's Supply" manufacture these?  I
> can't think of another solution for this customer??  Any advise would be
> appreciated.
>
> Musical regards,
> Marshall Connolly

I take it the piano didn't come with a fallboard lock? I have found those to
be more than sufficient when properly aligned, IE the apropriate
rubber/neoprene buttons are placed in the appropriate places so that the
lock can align with the strike plate.
If not a simple window lock similar to the old Kimball piano top locks will
work. A 1" hole has to be bored in the fall board, carefully, and the lock
screws in place with a nice brass ring the "lock" is a small metal bar that
turns into a pre cut groove in the side of the piano. This can be cut with a
Dremel tool and stained to match with a touchup pen. I'm sure there are
other ideas around but that's the one I know of.
Good luck,
Mike

--
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com