Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 1 21:36:42 MST 2008

Dean,
	Comments below.

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté
www.gregspianoforte.com
216-226-3791 (office)
216-470-8634 (mobile)

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Dean May
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 11:09 PM
To: 'Pianotech List'
Subject: RE: Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the
board, prior to gluing ?

Greg-
>>I had not heard Del's assertion from your first sentence before.

What I particularly remember from what Del said was the inverse
mass/stiffness relationships between the treble and bass sections. Perhaps
he could chime in here if he is on the list and clarify.

[I, for one, would appreciate that. What I understand is that both mass and
stiffness are present and desired in both areas of the board but one is
favored over the other or perhaps better stated one is more important than
the other in the opposite areas.]

>>Regarding your last statement do I understand that you wish to tie
the high treble bridge into the case?

My idea was not to tie the bridge into the rim, but the rib below. Instead
of having the final treble rib running transverse to the bridge and grain,
have it run along the bottom of the final segment of the treble bridge,
starting at what would have been the next to last rib and proceeding to the
rim underneath the bridge.

[You are then, in effect, tying the bridge to the rim are you not? If the
bridge is connected to the board and the board to the rib directly
underneath and the rib to the rim then the bridge is connected to the rim
with no real degree of the flexibility that you say (or that Del said , if
that's true) is desired in that part of the board. Something isn't making
sense to me here.]

 I would want to try it with that new rib tied
into the rim and also try it with the rib not tied into the rim- just for
fun.

>>If stiffening the high treble is something to
be avoided then what exactly does the treble fish provide?

It reduces the diaphragm area (think tweeter) and adds mass to the system.

[And also reduces the flexibility of the system up there since it's smaller
and can't have the same range of movement as was before the reduction. No?]

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802