On "subjective" assessments of tone.....

Prof. Euphonious Thump lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 11:14:27 MST 2008

   Well, gee, sure it's subjective Dale ! So is music,
and our appreciation of it, and what we find
enjoyable, and what we don't....
    I have the highest regard for those of you out
there seeking to build the ultimate soundboard.
Many pianos need new boards, and I'm certainly glad
that there are efforts to build truly fine ones !!!
    But, to my ear, there has often been something
disappointing about the pianos with new boards I've
played. Yes, overall, they do sound better than they
did ! But that could also be from better bearing, new
bridges and strings and hammers and such, and I've
still found that "something" has been lost in the
tone.
    If that "something" could be retained, while the
benefits of a  new board added,  I feel that would be
ideal. I recognize that this might not be practical,
but it's  what I'm aiming for, and some trait of old
wood vs. new wood, and the explanations which have
been proferred by scientists long studying this issue
( outside of the PTG ) is the only possible source of
this "something" which occurs to me.

 Thump